| Organization: ||
City of Falls Church
|| Job Category: ||
| Job Type: ||
|| Country: ||
|| State/Province: ||
|| City: ||
|| Salary and Benefits: ||
$70,000 - $95,000
|| Post Date: || 06/09/2014 ||
The City of Falls Church, Virginia has a challenging career opportunity for a Civil or Transportation Engineer. This is a new position working within a 3-person team to implement transportation and building facility related Capital Improvement Projects (CIP), operate and manage the various transportation infrastructure systems (traffic signals, signs, markings, streetlights, paving, bridges, etc.), review public and private development for compliance with applicable standards, and respond to citizen inquiries. Specific work assignments will be determined based upon applicant’s skills and the composition of the remainder of the team – which is currently being assembled. The successful applicant will have excellent organizational and time management skills to adapt to shifting priorities and the ability to proactively problem solve with minimal direct supervision. Applicant must be an effective communicator able to liaise effectively between technical experts and the general public.
- Manages capital projects from start to finish.
- Manages contracts related to planning, design, engineering and construction of capital projects.
- Guides City projects through the City’s development planning process.
- Recommends solutions and alternatives to technical problems arising during study and design phase.
- Coordinates and collaborates with Public Works staff as well as other departmental staff to ensure satisfactory completion of projects.
- Ensures compliance with state and federal rules, standards and regulations including but not limited to USEPA; USACE; FHWA; VDOT; VADEQ; VADCR.
- Writes technical specifications and contract documents.
- Reviews all plans and ensures compliance with local, state, and federal guidelines.
- Shepherds construction projects through permitting and inspection process.
- Prepares civil design drawings, technical specifications, and construction cost estimates of projects.
- Supervises work performed under contract and maintains professional control of projects to completion.
- Conducts field inspections at projects, solves problems arising during construction phase.
- Performs traffic and transportation related responsibilities.
- Reviews new development plans to ensure compliance with specifications and regulations.
- Prioritizes and manages prioritize multiple tasks & responsibilities.
- Provides on-call emergency response for governmental operations (e.g. traffic signal operations, engineering support).
- Receives and responds to citizen inquiries and complaints and establishes priorities.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with City officials, other public officials, associates, contractors, and the general public.
- Performs related tasks as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
- Five years of related experience.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in the Commonwealth of Virginia is preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of municipal public works, transportation, and facilities administration, planning and design.
- Demonstrated ability to review and analyze plans and specifications for construction of public facilities, formulate comprehensive operational policies and procedures, and prepare technical reports.
- An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: $70,000 - $95,000 depending on qualifications. Includes comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, pension plan, deferred compensation plan, flexible spending account, college savings plan, life and long-term disability insurance, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, credit union membership, free parking, and more. See www.fallschurchva.gov for additional information.
TO APPLY: Send resume to City of Falls Church, HR Div, 300 Park Ave, Falls Church, VA 22046 or email@example.com.