| Job Ref: ||
|| Organization: ||
Sarasota County Government
|| Job Category: ||
Water and Sewers: Stormwater
|| Job Type: ||
|| Country: ||
|| State/Province: ||
|| City: ||
|| Post Code: ||
|| Salary and Benefits: ||
$60,008.00 - $85,009.60 (mid-point) May exceed mid-point depending on experience.
|| Post Date: || 02/05/2014 ||
This is a professional and managerial position providing oversight to Sarasota County’s stormwater/drainage program. This position includes responsibility for the delivery of major community outcomes including, but not limited to: an optimum level of flood protection, improved surface water quality, and a sustainable water supply system.
- Directly oversees the following programs or functional areas in the Stormwater Utility (SU): Flood Protection Watershed Modeling and Development Review Program, SU Planning Program, SU Assessment Program, Community Rating System Program. To support these programs, recommends the creation of new or revisions to existing ordinances or resolutions to the Director, including proposed implementation strategies, for possible future consideration by the Board of County Commissioners (BCC).
- Directs the development of Comprehensive Watershed Management Plans to address multiple issues to include flood protection, water quality, low-impact development, wastewater management issues within watersheds, stormwater reuse or supply issues, natural systems, etc. Coordinates with Environmental team to develop water quality performance standards and goals for the SU. Coordinates the administration of Countywide MS4 NPDES activities.
- Directs the operation and maintenance responsibilities of the SU to meet, but not limited to the following objectives: 1) operate an effective and efficient stormwater system; 2) deliver efficient, cost-effective County stormwater services; 3) minimize the impact of property flooding through management of stormwater services; and 4) deliver stormwater services in a sustainable, flexible, and responsive fashion. Also, directs the development and implementation of the Stormwater Repair and Replacement program including financial, engineering, and construction activities.
- On behalf of the Director, serves as technical advisor representing proposed capital improvement projects (CIP) for SU which includes the proposed initial project design, the coordination and review of the draft of the scope of services to achieve a preliminary design report for a proposed CIP, the coordination of the review of proposed construction plans generally through 30% of project design, the provision of field work expertise, as needed, and administration support of contracts for the approved CIP associated with the SU. The services above include coordination on an as-needed basis with the following departments: Planning & Development Services, Administrative Services, Health and Human Services, Emergency Services, and Community Services.
- Directs and supervises a professional and technical staff to facilitate an efficient and effective work team to achieve stated community outcomes and levels of service, including meetings and other customer service responsibilities. Provides leadership and technical guidance to formulate, implement, and monitor policy and procedures appropriate to the day-to-day operation of various programs. Administers staff recruitment, interview process and annual performance management system. Directs the preparation of the annual budget and exercises budgetary controls.
- Coordinates responses to inquiries relative to specific projects and other information as required. Attends public meetings, prepares reports, and conducts formal presentations. Acts as a liaison with the regulated community, regulatory agencies and professional organizations to resolve outstanding program issues. Acts as a staff liaison for the SEU Advisory Committee.
- Serves on technical advisory committee(s), task force(s), teams and focus groups to achieve common enterprise/ organizational goals. Maintains communication and coordination with external agencies on development and implementation of programmatic function. Attends meetings, workshops, and training activities to ensure professional and personal growth. Performs other related duties and projects as assigned by the director.
Minimum Qualifications: A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in specific field AND six (6) years of related experience. A Master's Degree with four (4) or more years of related experience. Supervisory experience required. May consider substituting years of experience for the four (4) year degree. Employment is subject to passing a subject screening.
Preferred Qualifications: Advanced professional certification highly desirable. Registered with the State of Florida Board of Professional Engineers.
Job Competencies: Knowledge of water resource management, engineering, ecology, government organizations, structure and procedure to address principle issues of water resource management and growth.
About Sarasota: Sarasota County, located on the Gulf of Mexico provides 35 miles of world-famous beaches and is host of the annual Offshore Grand Prix boat race. The county also is home of Oscar Scherer and Myakka State Parks and boasts more than 100 challenging golf courses. Sarasota is known as the cultural capital of Florida with museums of art, theaters, an aquarium, botanical gardens and the annual international film festival. There are a number of colleges and Money magazine ranked the Sarasota County Public Schools one of the top 100 school systems in the United States. Unsurpassed beauty… rich cultural offering…diverse educational opportunities…wide-ranging recreational possibilities…All of this makes Sarasota a great place to live and work!
Benefits: Attractive medical/dental/life insurance, generous paid time off, state retirement program, wellness programs and much more.
Apply: Only applicants that complete an on-line at www.scgov.net/Careers will be considered. Resumes may be attached. For assistance, please call (941) 861-5742.
Veterans’ Preference: Preference in appointment will be extended to eligible veterans and spouses of veterans with documentation of status (DD-214) at time of application.
Sarasota County Government is committed to wellness and successful applicants must be tobacco free for twelve months preceding date of application.
Drug Free Work Environment EOE/AA/ADA