| Organization: ||
City of Dickinson
|| Job Category: ||
Engineering and Technology
|| Job Type: ||
|| Country: ||
|| State/Province: ||
North Dakota (ND)
|| City: ||
|| Salary and Benefits: ||
$65,000 - $75,000, plus benefits
|| Post Date: || 08/13/2013 ||
The City of Dickinson, ND was voted #1 for the Top Ten Best Small Towns by Livability.com. We are the second fastest growing small city in the US and have a vibrant and booming economy due to the energy and oil industry.
Temporary Housing Available.
Summary: This position is responsible for technical civil engineering and supervisory engineering work performing a variety of engineering tasks. Work is performed under the managerial direction of the City Engineer. Supervision is exercised over lower level engineering support staff.
- Serves as project manager on engineering projects; conducts field work, survey, research, preliminary and final design; determines construction quantities, writes proposals, prepares contract documents and right of way and easement descriptions, and estimates costs; coordinates project among outside agencies, property owners, other city departments and other divisions within the department; prepares reports and memos describing the project; conducts inspections of work.
- Performs inspections and maintains records on federal aid projects.
- Reviews and comments on submittal of preliminary plats and final plats.
- Reviews plans for streets, sidewalks, curbs, sanitary sewers, water mains and storm drainage submitted for private developments within the City ensure compliance with regulations and standards; reviews “as-built” plans submitted after construction is completed.
- Prepares engineering designs, plans, specifications and cost estimates for the construction of streets, sidewalks, curbs, sewers, water mains, storm drains and the like; participates in public hearings, right of way acquisitions, finalizing plans, drafting specifications and so on.
- Drafts memos for City Council consideration.
- Reviews easement vacation requests to ensure compliance with regulations and standards.
- Performs inspections of all storm water facilities to ensure compliance with local, state and federal Phase II Stormwater regulations.
- Prepares public service announcements and other communication initiatives regarding Phase II Stormwater regulatory requirements.
- Answers inquiries and complaints from the public regarding sanitary sewers, water mains, storm drains street projects, easements, subdivisions, flood plains, and the like.
- Maintains a variety of records pertaining to public works installations and projects; prepares reports related to the work.
- Provides information to and works with architects, engineers, contractors, developers and the like to ensure adherence to proper standards and codes.
- Serves as Acting City Engineer in the Absence of the City Engineer.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of professional civil engineering principles, practices and methods applied to public works construction.
- Knowledge of design principles, strength of materials, and stress analysis required in planning construction projects.
- Knowledge of suitable computer applications to engineering projects.
- Knowledge of construction standards and regulations.
- Knowledge of maps, deeds, plats and plans.
- Ability to plan, organize, coordinated, assign and evaluate the work of subordinate staff.
- Ability to prepare accurate plans, specifications, cost estimates and engineering reports.
- Ability to operate personal computers and computer aided drafting processes.
- Ability to maintain a variety of technical records and adapt records systems for computerization.
- Ability to make accurate engineering computations and drawings.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing to prepare reports of a complex technical nature.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, engineers and contractors and the general public.
- Ability to operate surveying equipment in the field and to maneuver on foot around construction sites, on uneven terrain.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering and three years of experience in professional Civil Engineering or an equivalent combination of training and experience that would be expected to lead to registration as a Civil Engineer in the State of North Dakota.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Registration as an Engineer-in-Training in the State of North Dakota – at hire.
- Positions in this class typically require: climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motions.
- Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for Sedentary Work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for Light Work.
- Work conditions involve some exposure to moderate risk of accident and require following basic safety precautions. Requires prolonged standing and/or walking, handling moderate weight objects and/or using or carrying equipment. Work may require routine travel.
To Apply: Apply online at www.dickinsongov.com, or by mail at 99 2nd Street East, Dickinson, ND 58601. Please attach detailed resume. Position closes 9/2/13 at 5:00 pm.