| Organization: ||
City of Falls Church
|| Job Category: ||
Water and Sewers: Stormwater
Engineering and Technology
| Job Type: ||
|| Country: ||
|| State/Province: ||
|| City: ||
|| Salary and Benefits: ||
$67,343 - $85,000, depending on qualifications
|| Post Date: || 05/07/2013 ||
The City of Falls Church, Virginia has a challenging career opportunity for a professional Capital Improvements Project Engineer/Manager. A qualified applicant must have experience in project management for capital projects related to transportation, general facilities, and stormwater. A sound understanding of general civil engineering, project design and field inspection is a must. Moreover, a qualified applicant must possess excellent communication skills as well as a spirit of cooperativeness and team-building. In addition to project management associated with the City’s Capital Improvement Program (CIP) a successful applicant will provide engineering support for other programs managed by the Department of Public Works (DPW) including engineering review and oversight of private site development plans; facility management, transportation and stormwater.
Planning and Programmatic Functions
- Oversees City’s Capital Improvement Program (CIP).
- Coordinates the CIP with City’s budget process.
- Liaises with the Planning Commission and City Council regarding the CIP.
- Assists with the development of the division operating and capital budgets.
- Assists with the management and prioritization of the City’s infrastructure.
- Provides technical presentations in public venues including but not limited to Planning Commission meetings, City Council meetings, Town Hall meetings, and various committee meetings.
- Coordinates with various City program areas including but not limited to transportation, stormwater, sanitary sewer, general facilities and development services.
- Develops and manages project and programmatic budgets and schedules.
- Attends project and administrative meetings and conferences and makes recommendations concerning budget issues.
Grant Acquisition / Coordination
- Provides grant management/administration for city projects.
- Liaises with granting authorities concerning existing and potential grant awards.
- Seeks out grant opportunities.
- Prepares grant application documentation.
- Provides grant management (e.g., schedules, deliverables, procedures) for CIP projects.
- Liaises with Planning Commission and City Council regarding active grants and opportunities.
- Manages capital projects from start to finish.
- Manages contracts related to planning, design, engineering and construction of capital projects.
- GuidesCityprojects through the City’s development planning process.
- Recommends solutions and alternatives to technical problems arising during study and design phase.
- Coordinates and collaborates with DPW staff as well as other departmental staff to ensure satisfactory completion of projects.
- Ensures compliance with state and federal rules, standards and regulations including but not limited to USEPA; USACE; FHWA; VDOT; VADEQ; VADCR.
- Writes technical specifications and contract documents.
- Reviews all plans and ensures compliance with local, state, and federal guidelines.
- Shepherds construction projects through permitting and inspection process.
- Prepares structural and civil design drawings, technical specifications, and construction cost estimates of projects.
- Supervises work performed under contract and maintains professional control of projects to completion.
- Conducts field inspections at projects, solves problems arising during construction phase.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with City officials, other public officials, associates, contractors, and the general public.
Various Public Works Functions as Assigned
- Performs traffic and transportation related responsibilities.
- Reviews new development plans to ensure compliance with specifications and regulations.
- Prioritizes and manages prioritize multiple tasks & responsibilities.
- Provides on-call emergency response for governmental operations (e.g. traffic signal operations, engineering support).
- Receives and responds to citizen inquiries and complaints and establishes priorities.
- Performs related tasks as required.
- Bachelors in civil engineering.
- Seven years of related experience.
- Extensive experience in a responsible position in the engineering field.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in theCommonwealthofVirginia.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering, of municipal public works and public utilities administration, planning and design.
- Demonstrated ability to review and analyze plans and specifications for construction of public facilities, formulate comprehensive operational policies and procedures, and prepare technical reports.
- Demonstrated ability to organize facts effectively, to prepare clear and concise reports; demonstrated ability to plan and supervise diverse construction and maintenance projects and specifically the work of skilled and semiskilled workers, and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with city officials, private contractors, associates and general public.
- An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: $67,343 - $85,000 depending on qualifications. Includes comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, pension plan, deferred compensation plan, flexible spending account, college savings plan, life and long-term disability insurance, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, credit union membership, free parking, and more. See www.fallschurchva.gov for additional information.
TO APPLY: Submit a resume to the City of Falls Church, Human Resources Division, 300 Park Ave, Falls Church, VA 22046, or via e-mail at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, the City expects to start interviewing by May 22nd.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION: Disabled applicants may request reasonable accommodation during the selection process by forwarding the request to the Human Resources Division. The City ofFalls Church does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age and disability in employment or the provision of services.