Vacancy has expiredShow me jobs like this one
|Organization:||City of Elgin, IL||Job Category:||Engineering and Technology||Job Type:||Full Time||Country:||USA||State/Province:||Illinois (IL)||City:||Elgin||Salary and Benefits:||$79,570 to $106,632||Post Date:||07/02/2014||
CITY OF ELGIN
SENIOR ENGINEER, STREET MAINTENANCE
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF WORK:
Under administrative direction, directs and coordinates public works activities of the street, land management, and community restitution divisions; develops policies and procedures on the snow operation, and leaf program.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK:
1. Directs and coordinates the activities of the Street, Land Management, and Community Restitution Divisions relating to the maintenance and repair of City streets, sidewalks, ditches, bridges and appurtenances; and the collection and disposal of garbage.
2. Plans bi-weekly work schedules according to work management systems, prioritizing job activities, making corresponding daily crew assignments; responds to changing requirements and emergency operational needs.
3. Monitors the maintenance of job records including cost factors of job material, equipment, manpower and hours; prepares reports and makes recommendations regarding activities, improvements and policies. Keeps records of facilities maintained so as to adhere to multi—year maintenance schedules.
4. Evaluates work performance of employees; cross trains staff in various public works functions; develops and ensures adherence to an ongoing safety program. Reviews all department accidents, making recommendations of appropriate action.
5. Receives complaints from the public, investigates and takes corrective action for both emergency on non-emergency calls.
6. Develops, updates and implements the snow removal and road salting program; develops and updates the snow operation manual to reflect policy and procedure modification, in charge of snow command.
7. Develops, updates and implements the leaf removal program; develops and updates the leaf operation manual to reflect policy and procedure modification.
8. Coordinates construction and repair activities with other departments of the City.
9. Inspects work completed by contractors that support the work of the division.
10. Participation in the preparation and administration of the division and department budget, submits budget recommendation for division.
11. Provides engineering support for the division including solicitation of bids for materials used by the division.
12. Prepares reports for the City Council and City Manager.
13. Performs other duties as required or assigned.
SENIOR ENGINEER, STREET MAINTENANCE (Continued)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Through knowledge of the principals and practices of civil engineering as related to the maintenance of streets and bridges, through knowledge of modern engineering methods and techniques as applied to the design, construction and maintenance of public works and utility facilities; requires the ability to interpret, apply and communicate complex rules, regulations, laws and ordinances; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City officials, employees and contractors, State and Federal officials and to the general public; ability to express ideas clearly and concisely orally, and in writing; ability to instruct subordinate personnel in proper work methods and to supervise their work; knowledge of practices of personnel motivation, performance evaluation, and discipline, requires sufficient human relations skill to convey technical engineering concepts, to facilitate, lead, instruct, and guide other professional trades, and technical employees and to work cooperatively with internal and external customers; ability to prepare technical reports; extensive and demonstrative knowledge of the use and application of MS Office Suite and electronic mail systems.
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in civil engineering and considerable professional engineering experience preferably in the public sector.
Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of Illinois
Salary Range: $79,570 to $106,632