| Organization: ||
St. Johns River Water Management District
|| Job Category: ||
|| Job Type: ||
|| Country: ||
|| State/Province: ||
|| City: ||
|| Post Code: ||
|| Salary and Benefits: ||
Annual Salary Range: $53,414-$89,003
|| Post Date: || 02/07/2014 ||
St. Johns River Water Management District is actively seeking applications for a Public Works Program Manager in Palm Bay FL. Applications for this position are accepted online only through the Careers section at www.floridaswater.com. Last date to apply is 3/2/2014.
This is responsible administrative, supervisory and technical work assisting in the management and administration of public works programs and activities.
Job duties include:
- Develops scopes of work for yearly contracts for civil construction, firelines, mowing, fencing, grading, site work, tree cutting and drum chopping; manages and provides quality control for contracts;
- Coordinates supervisory staff activities to include prioritizing projects and work scheduling as well as allocating vehicles and equipment to project sites; selects, supervises, directs workload, evaluates and provides leadership to subordinate staff;
- Coordinates and manages special division projects; reviews and develops scope of work, technicaal work and reports; coordinates inter-bureau projects; ensures appropriate levels of coordination between the division and other divisions, bureaus and external agencies, particularly with the Bureau of Land Management and Division of Regulatory, Engineering and Environmental Services;
- Assists in preparation of divisional agenda for governing board and in presentation of items to the board, including govering board field trips;
- Reviews bureau activities to ensure conformance to established performance measures, permit requirements and design specifications; assists in the development of new operations and maintenance procedures and improvement of existing procedures, particularly project management; provides technical assistance to staff and other bureaus and divisions; provides technical input and consultation as necessary for the development and coordination of special projects;
- Represents the bureau at meetings in the absence of the Bureau Chief; represents the District at public meetings and workshops; provides information and makes presentations to other bureaus, divisions, public and private agencies, advisory boards and various interest groups;
- Develops and coordinates training programs for bureau staff;
- Develops short range and long range plans for divisional programs; assists in the maintenance and update of the Infrastructure Management, Operations and Maintenance Five Year Plan; assists in the preparation, allocation, and tracking of the bureau's budget and long range planning of bureau and division programs; monitors expenditures to ensure area is operating within budgetary constraints.
A high school diploma or G.E.D. and eight years progressively responsible experience in public works construction, operation and maintenance. A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in business administration, public administration, mechanical engineering, civil engineering or a related field and four years of progressively responsible experience in public works contruction, operation and maintenance. A master's degree from an accredited college or university in business administration, public administration, mechanical engineering, civil engineering or a related field can substitute for one year of the required experience.
SJRWMD has determined this to be a mandatory-testing position as described in Section 440.102, Florida Statutes. Any offer of employment for a mandatory-testing position will be contingent upon successfully passing a drug screening paid by SJRWMD. The SJRWMD Drug Free Workplace Policy is available for review in the Careers section at www.floridaswater.com.
Prefer candidate with:
- Knowledge of managing and supervising staff in the operation and maintenance of heavy equipment, maintenance of canals and levees; building maintenance and repair; lock and spillway operation; infrastructure maintenance; fencing; pump and culvert installation; water control structure repair and maintenance; fabrication and welding; carpentry, painting, cement work, wood working; use of small hand tools; boat operation; and hydraulics systems (electrical and mechanical knowledge);
- Skill in supervision and managerial procedures; report writing, and use of computer programs and Microsoft software;
- Ability to plan and implement work schedules; develop and implement scopes of work; develop budget for projected resources and projected work; train, effectively coach, counsel, discipline and evaluate the performance of assigned staff.
Working conditions: Mix of office and fieldwork, sometimes in extreme weather conditions.
For more information and to apply, please visit the Careers section at www.floridaswater.com. The St. Johns River Water Management District is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Drug Free and Tobacco Free Workplace/E-Verify participating employer. Veteran's Preference will be afforded under applicable Florida law.