| Job Ref: ||
|| Organization: ||
Harris & Associates
|| Job Category: ||
Engineering and Technology
Director Public Works
| Job Type: ||
|| Country: ||
|| State/Province: ||
|| City: ||
|| Post Code: ||
|| Salary and Benefits: ||
|| Post Date: || 09/27/2013 ||
Location: Bay Area, CA
The construction manager (CM) is responsible for seeing that the project is constructed in accordance with the approved plans and specifications. The CM is generally the day-to-day team leader for the project, responsible for proactively overseeing all activities of the project and must be aware of all project issues.
Position Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Construction Management Responsibilities
- Daily personal interactions with clients, designers, owners, contractors, inspectors, and authorities having jurisdiction on the project.
- Meet regularly with all Harris & Associates’ field office staff to discuss and resolve project matters.Be the hub of the construction project responsible for its success and responsible for facilitating the resolution of all project issues in a fair but firm manner.
- Ensure project is constructed in accordance with approved plans, specifications, budget and schedule.
- Coordinate and manage all Harris sub-consultants, as provided for in the Agreement.
- Observe, monitor and document the work of the contractor according to established Harris & Associates’ CM procedures, this includes management of all project correspondence (incoming and outgoing) ,including but not limited to oral and written communications, RFIs, Memos to Designer, Field Directives, Clarification Letters, submittals, change orders, and progress payments.
- Develop and distribute timely meeting agendas and minutes.Develop project reports as defined by Harris’ scope of work.
Accounting Project Management
- Maintain current copy of Harris & Associates’ agreement with client and all change orders.
- Adhere to Harris’ accounting project management guidelines. This includes, but is not limited to review and approval of employee timesheets, review and processing project status reports, review and approval of monthly billing draft statements, review and management of aging reports, etc.
- Cultivate strong relationship with client, including frequent communication of both construction and Harris contract-related issues.
- Prepare and distribute owner-required project reports.
- Attend public meetings as necessary and as determined by Harris scope of services.
- Represent owner at public meetings as necessary and as determined by Harris scope of services.
- Be actively involved in your employee’s project assignments such that they are being mentored and cultivated to grow. Actively review their work-product for quality assurance.
- Model excellent communication skills, both orally and in written documentation, to ensure accuracy, relevance and attention to detail.
- Manage all on-site Harris staff including field inspection staff and field office staff assigned to the project.
- Timely coordination of staffing needs and staff availability with Regional Manager of Construction Management.
- Carry out the Harris & Associates’ employee evaluation process; including annual performance evaluations of staff, evaluations of staff at end of their introductory periods, and assist staff in the development of individual goals and objectives.
- Monitor and encourage staff growth and training through participation in Harris training opportunities as well as utilizing outside training resources such as seminars and online coursework.
Harris’ Asset Management
- Manage IT system hardware and software.Oversee the implementation and use of all project tools, such as office furniture and equipment, field survey and testing equipment, personal equipment such as cell phones and vehicles.Items are to be cared for in an appropriate professional manner so that they reflect a positive Harris image at all times to our contractors, our clients and the general public.
Coordination and Communication with Peers
- Cultivate relationships with other Harris construction management personnel such that knowledge-sharing and mentoring occurs.
Core Competencies (all employees)
Communicativeness, Customer Orientation, Drive/Energy, Functional/Technical Expertise, Initiative, Integrity, Problem Solving/Decision Making, Relationship Orientation, Team player
Program/Project Management Competencies
Business Thinking, Change Mastery, Conflict Management, Delegation, Financial Acumen, Influence, Organizing & Planning, Team Management, Written Communication
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Be familiar with materials, means, methods, tools and contractual obligations involved in the construction or repair of various physical assets including structures, highways and process equipment installations.Knowledge of building codes, technical requirements of construction and current project delivery methodologies.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to timely communicate project issues to the various project participants.
- The ability to function as a member of a team that is dedicated to the successful completion of the project.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in the strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership techniques, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Ability to take the initiative to resolve conflicts that arise during the project in a timely manner.Develop and monitor specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish the work.Manage one’s own time and the time of others along with the ability to multi-task and change priorities quickly.
- Familiar with local Contractors.
Any combination equivalent to experience and education that would provide the required knowledge and abilities such as:
- Minimum 3-5 years of construction management experience, preferably with vertical work (buildings).
- College degree (engineering, construction management, architecture, or related field. Experience may be substituted where appropriate.
- Professional engineering license or certifications such as CCM or PMP desirable.
- Experience with estimating and scheduling (Primavera desirable).
- The ability to work independently with limited supervision; posses the knowledge and ability to work with Harris & Associates reference documents.
- Must be able to utilize independent judgment and initiative to achieve project objectives and work on a construction site with limited amenities.