| Organization: ||
|| Job Category: ||
Engineering and Technology
|| Job Type: ||
|| Country: ||
|| State/Province: ||
|| City: ||
|| Salary and Benefits: ||
$72,562-$83,446.30 DOQ Hiring Range
|| Post Date: || 09/24/2013 ||
Under general supervision performs work of considerable difficulty in the location, design, and construction of public works projects; performs related work as assigned.
Note: The salary listed is the hiring range; the full salary for the position is $72,562-$106,709
• Supervises the Engineering division
• Plans, directs, coordinates and reviews all engineered road, bridge, and improvement projects
• Initiates and directs development of engineering plans, including the establishment of design criteria, specifications and engineering standards
• Sets schedule and budget for design phase
• Oversees public works construction of capital projects
• Acts as the custodian of the records and property of the county relating to surveying, engineering and road construction
• Conducts field inspections, provides quality control and construction management; reviews, approves, and signs subdivision and site development plans, cost estimates, drainage designs and final plats
• Performs or oversees traffic studies, speed studies, safety audits, etc
• Provides technical, administrative and managerial direction in all county engineering and construction activities relating to public works projects
• Assists with defense of the county in matters of civil tort liability, including expert testimony
• Develops policies and procedures
• Holds public meetings to discuss possible improvements, projects, drainage studies and others as needed
• Represents the department with various agencies
• Prepares and administers divisional budgets
• Performs other duties as assigned
Essential functions include: working with and around others; working with frequent interruptions; driving; repetitive (hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder) motion for computer work; visual acuity (near and far) for computer work and working with applicants; color vision for working with computer screen; hearing and speech for ordinary and conversations and training; touch for computer work.
| Minimum Qualifications:
|Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering and five years of progressively responsible engineering experience in related field including two years in a supervisory capacity; OR, any combination of education, training and experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
Must be a registered P.E. within the state of Arizona.
This position is exempt from overtime.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience and demonstrated positive outcomes as a leader of a public sector engineering team including management of internal and external resources in areas including, but not necessarily limited to: survey, design, right of way, construction management, transportation planning, capital planning, process improvements and efficiencies, development services, permitting, and code enforcement. She/he will also be a strong communicator, both verbally and in writing, with experience in building and maintaining positive relationships with staff, the public, elected and appointed officials, and private sector entities.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience with leading the development, implementation and evaluation of capital transportation and flood control projects; experience with construction management and quality control; experience with providing technical direction in the area of development services, including subdivisions, site development plans, cost estimates, drainage designs, and final plats; experience with development, monitoring and evaluation of design criteria, specifications, engineering standards, ordinances and permits; experience with creating positive, efficient working teams and environments.
Must obtain an Arizona driver's license by date of hire and maintain it throughout employment. Final job offer will be contingent upon a satisfactory 5-year Arizona Motor Vehicle Report.
| Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Considerable knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of civil engineering
- Principles and practices of roadway, bridge, and drainage engineering design and construction
- Laws, codes, ordinances and regulations governing land use and development
• Working knowledge of:
- Practices and techniques of positive supervision
- Safety regulations and safe work practices
- Principles and practices of governmental budgeting and fiscal management
- Computer operations as applied to engineering design and construction
- Testing procedures used in road construction and maintenance
- Traffic control systems and design and utilization
• Ability to:
- Organize and direct complex engineering design projects
- Represent the County in public discussions and make presentations
- Develop and implement policies and procedures
- Work safely and support the culture of workplace safety
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other agencies and the public
- Follow written and verbal instructions
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
County Engineer: Public Works (0913) Supplemental Questionnaire
*1. Do you have a bachelor's degree in civil engineering?
*2. Do you have five years of progressively responsible engineering experience in a related field, including two years in a supervisory capacity?
*3. Do you possess a professional engineering certification within the state of Arizona? If yes, please list here.
*4. What level of experience do you have working with engineering design software such as AutoCAD, ArcGIS, Civil 3D, others? Please describe.
*5. Please describe your experience with planning, directing, overseeing and evaluating the design and construction of road, bridge, flood control and other capital improvement projects.
*6. Please describe all job-related experience providing customer service to the development community, building contractors and the general public with respect to subdivisions, site development plans, cost estimates, drainage designs and final plats.
*7. Please describe your experience with the development, implementation and evaluation of drainage studies, traffic studies, safety audits, etc.
*8. Have you had any formalized project management training or any project management work-related experience including the development and management of project schedules and budgets? Please describe.
*9. Please describe your experience with the development and approval of local, state and other development and engineering-related design standards, ordinances, and codes.
*10. Please describe your philosophy and job-related experience with respect to the supervision of personnel.
*11. Please describe your knowledge and experience with the following programs; NFIP, AFMA, AZPEDES, MSGP.
*12. Please describe any other education, skills, or experience that you believe is relevant to this position.
* Required Question Employee Benefits
Coconino County offers a comprehensive employee benefits package to regular employees working 30 or more hours per week that includes:
(Regular Part Time employees receive some benefits on a pro-rated basis. Temporary and Seasonal employees do not receive benefits).
- Vacation/Annual Leave
- Sick Leave
- 10 Holidays Per Year
- Health Care Insurance
- Dental Plan
- Vision Plan
- Group Life Insurance
- Pre-Tax Deduction Plan
- Sick Leave Conversion Plan
- Wellness Program
- Long-Term Disability
- Arizona State Retirement System
- Employee Assistance Program
- On-going Training Opportunities
- Payroll Direct Deposit
- Free bus transportation/ EcoPass bus pass
- Dependent Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Supplemental Life (for employees & dependents)
- Flexible Spending Account
- Tax-deferred investment program
- Accidental and Disability Insurance