| Organization: ||
City of Denton
|| Job Category: ||
Engineering and Technology
|| Job Type: ||
|| Country: ||
|| State/Province: ||
|| City: ||
|| Salary and Benefits: ||
Depends on Qualifications
|| Post Date: || 07/30/2013 ||
Under minimal supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment, perform highly complex engineering functions that include: work in designing, planning, budgeting, selection and negotiations of outside consultants, overseeing work in support of construction, maintenance, alteration of structures, facilities, processes, equipment, and systems. May plan, assign, and/or lead the work of others.
- Approves, processes, and seals plans/specifications/construction documents by applying engineering standardization of practices and principles of highly technical and complex calculations for applied discipline within the local and state regulatory requirements
- Performs lead role in capital planning, budgeting of projects, selecting and negotiating with outside consultants and project management
- Manages engineering projects that are technically complex, highly visible, priority projects or programs. These projects require a high level of technical proficiency as well as coordinative and administrative responsibility. May require the ability to coordinate the efforts of a multi-discipline, multi-agency project team to complete a defined assignment or CIP
- Identifies, evaluates, and provides improvement recommendations with preliminary and final designs and design criteria for assigned program or projects that may be complex and non routine. Provides assistance in the preparation of preliminary and long range plans, schedules, estimates, budgets, detailed final plans, specifications, special conditions and agreements. Provide technical oversight of project progress from design through completion
- Develops cost estimates/track expenditures prepare cost estimates and engineering and feasibility reports and studies for projects. Prepares and or provides assistance with preliminary contract documents, specifications and plans. Prepares final plans, specifications, special conditions and agreements and coordinates and oversees work of contractors, affected public agencies and utilities. Writes complex technical specifications for construction contracts
- Reviews plans and approves permits by applying complex engineering standardization of practices and principles for applied discipline within local and state regulatory requirements
- Inspects and monitors projects for legal compliance by reviewing work completed by contractors and ensuring compliance to specifications by completing complex calculations that are used to further provide analysis of preliminary results of a project
- Develops cost estimates/tracks expenditures by reviewing and writing contract change orders in the area of technical expertise negotiates and recommends financial arrangements for changes to contract
- May lead activities of a design team in the preparation of preliminary and long range plans, schedules, estimates, budgets, detail final construction plans, specifications, and agreements
- Conducts field inspections of work done by contractors to ensure compliance with plans and specifications. Drafts and recommends approval of contract change orders
- Researches and performs statistical analysis for validation of reports and publication of results in various communication formats
- Plans and performs pilot studies to support process control changes
- Develops standard operating procedures, policies, and ordinances for various contracts and/or projects. May provide analysis and recommendation of performance of various personnel assigned by contract or projects
- Designs and maintains database systems for project and/or program areas.
- Prepares and delivers presentations to public, public utility board, city council, or customers.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in the state of Texas
- Minimum of ten (10) years directly related experience with at least five (5) years experience after registration
- Any combination of related education, experience, certifications and licenses that will result in a candidate successfully performing the essential functions of the job
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to form and maintain effective relationships with coworkers and customers
- Ability to maintain regular and punctual attendance
Conditions of Employment:
- Must have a valid Class “C” Driver’s License and valid state required minimum automobile liability insurance prior to employment (must obtain Texas Class “C” driver’s license and state required minimum automobile liability insurance within 30 days of hire per state law)
- Must pass a drug test, driver’s license check, criminal history background check, and social security number verification check
- Out of state Professional Engineers must be able to obtain registration as a Professional Engineer in the state of Texas within 18 months of employment
- Must be able to work overtime when requested
To apply for this position please visit www.dentonjobs.com.
Applicants must satisfy all conditions of employment as outlined in the position announcement. All applicants must pass a pre-employment drug screen prior to employment. "We are committed to achieving a diversified workforce!"
"Dedicated to Quality Service"