The Public Works Historical Society (PWHS)  logo is a graphic depiction of the nation's first federal public work, the Cape Henry Lighthouse at Chesapeake Bay, Virginia. Built in 1791 at the specific direction of the first Congress of the United States, President George Washington and Treasury Secretary Alexander Hamilton were personally involved with the project.

The lighthouse was built on the site of the landing of the Susan Constant, the ship carrying settlers who founded Jamestown in 1607–the first permanent English speaking colony in the new world. The lighthouse stands today as a historical monument not only to our nation's heritage, but also to the timelessness of public works.

The lighthouse was built on the sight of the landing of the Susan Constant, the ship carrying settlers who founded Jamestown in 1607-the first permanent English speaking colony in the new world. The lighthouse stands today as an historical monument not only to our nation's heritage, but also to the timelessness of public works.